View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
mikefocke

Another thing you can do

to keep the rear window from cracking is to keep the plastic itself flexible by using something that restores the oils in it. I use Novus #1 twice a year on mine and it keeps the plastic clear and flexible. I also try to keep it inside and or covered when I can to reduce the drying effect of the sun's rays.

Novus sells a kit consisting of three grades of plastic cleaners #1, #2 and #3. When I bought my car, the window was yellowed and had a crusty surface feeling to it. One polish with #3 and one with #2 and it was beginning to look clear. #1 brought it to the clear and shiny and soft feeling stage. I use #1 just to keep it that way as #3 and #2 are abrasive and good for correcting, not for maintaining.

But whatever you do, don't raise or lower the window in the cold. If it is in the 60s or 50s and the car hasn't been sitting in the sun so the plastic can warm up, I even lower or raise it in stages and even get out and make sure it is folding nicely if I'm lowering it ("the chop" it is called because it is done with the side of the arm). In the 40s or below, the top doesn't ever get raised or lowered. If I had to, I'd use a space heater inside the car to warm the plastic before even moving the top at those temps.

The towel or felt is good for not having the plastic rub against itself and dig whatever dirt is on it into the plastic surface.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote