View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
I know that it is an accepted thing that when you let the boxster sit for a few days the battery dies, however I am a little tired of getting new batteries.

I went to the car this am and all I heard was click click, If it sits for more than 2 days, worse if cold outside, the battery barely starts the car.

What is it that is draining the battery? The CPU? Alarm?
I have seen those battery disconnectors that disconnect but allow a minimal voltage to keep the radio and CPU memory active. Would that work?
The list of what can be drawing power is almost endless; the alarm system, the stereo, GPS, radar detectors, etc. etc. Most don’t understand that something like a cell phone charger, even without the phone attached, still draws current.

Best way to sort this out is to disconnect your + battery terminal (be sure you have your radio code handy) and put a digital volt meter (set to measure current) between the cable and the battery. Then pull one fuse at a time from the fuse panel and watch the current draw change. This will tell you what circuits have the drain on them, and identify the level of drain for each. The basic car electronics (alarm, immobilizer, computer, radio and clock) should show a total draw in the milliamp range or so; draws beyond that are where your problem lies………………
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote