View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
I've been using Amsoil in my regular cars for years and am happy w/ it.

I'd be interested in hearing which oil is better for P-cars that cost less.

And here is some related info about engine oil:

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
In my shop, we currently use Castrol Syntec 10W-40 as our standard recommendation for the M96/97 engines. Years back, we used to use a couple of grades of Mobil 1 products; however, post acquisition by Exxon, we started seeing the used oil analysis really crap out on several grades, most notably the 0W-40 and 15W-50 (widely used in air cooled Porsches). At the same time, some grades of Mobil 1 (most notably the 15W-50) lost all the ACEA ratings (ever since API moved from being the “gatekeeper” on things such as oil specs and ratings to a marketing and public relations role, leaving the manufacturer’s to “self police” their products; we stopped looking at all API ratings and only look at ACEA specs, which are both stringent and require independent verification). We started testing other brands and eventually settled on the Castrol Syntec line. On-going UoA’s have continued to support this choice.

As for pricing, one of the best sources for Castrol Syntec, if you are not a dealer or shop, is your local Wal-Mart. Last week I saw 5 quart containers of 10W-40 Syntec on the shelf at two local Wal-Marts for $22…………….
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote