View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
CRCGuy

This will likely not be as collectible because, remember, this is not a limited edition, it's another model in the lineup, unlike the previous RS Spyder (numbered edition) which by the way, are a dime a dozen now in Porsche terms--doubt seriously they will go up in value in 20years.

All you need is ONE good downpour without the top and it's bye bye P-car,unlike a motorcycle. Ask me how I know (previous non P-car).

The Spyder is a nice looking car, will certainly be rare on the street, but unless you're tracking it, you're just buying purely for looks. Why? You would have to drive back to back against a normal 987S to really notice that big of a difference. the 986/987S is plenty fast. New 987S (with real top) and PDK + Sport Chrono, 0-60 in the 4.2 sec range. Compare that to 911s of...uh... last year? How fast do you really need to accelerate? 986/987S Handling also far above anything you should be doing on public roads anyway.

If you're just tracking it, then why dump $62+K in a brand new car. better off doing like the rest said--buy a $15-18k and strip it. Also, make sure you test the standard sport bucket seats, I absolutely couldn't stand them even just sitting in for a few minutes. If you want different, you not only add add'l cost, but now weight back. same for stereo and A/C. My guess is, most will end up adding back some options and the weight difference will diminish.

I'm sure there are aftermarket kits to give you the "speedster humps" which, at the end of the day, is all you're really paying for w.r.t looks in my opinion.

I am still searching for my first box. I've narrowed the field to later model 987S and when the Spyder came out, I was quite disappointed. The lack of real top is a deal breaker. Would have loved a fully manual top instead. But maybe where you live it's not a problem. Like others said, if this were a 2100 lbs, all aluminum body/carbon panels/bumpers, then it might be a different story. but a couple of hundred pounds, some speedster humps and nylon straps for door pulls? don't think so...

My $0.02
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote