View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveseven
Its taken a long time ( nearly a month) but the diagnosis that I got yesterday was that the intake valve at cylinder 1 is broken.
Besides that the cam shaft have timing issues with cylinder 1, 2 and 3.
I am no car expert but they tell me they will look deeper into the engine on monday to decide whether it can be fixed or whether to replace the engine.

The thing is that fortunately my car insurance will handle the costs and for my own expenses it should only be around 1000$.

I am in doubt as whether the repair they did a couple of weeks before this happened might have caused this?
I dont know what the difference is between drive shaft and cam shaft.
But they did as written in my first post:
- Change of gaiters at the drive shaft (not a car expert but it sound to be around the engine)

So could this have been caused by the Porsche mechanics when they repaired my car?
Nothing even remotely similar or related. The "gaiter" refers to the CV Boot in common terminology, but is basically a rubber boot (or gaiter) that covers the CV joint to keep contaminants out of the joint itself and its lubricant. These joints (there are 2 per axle) are between the gearbox and the wheel's hub. The camshafts (your engine has 4) are inside the cylinder heads, and actuate the valves (both intake and exhaust, of which there are 4 per cylinder, with one cam on each bank for the respective rows of intake and exhaust valves).

How exactly did they diagnose a broken valve?