View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #30
JFP in PA

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Sorry JFP, maybe I am just a little dim. I still don't get it.
That is quite obvious.

1. You still have mechanical drag, just at the alternator instead of the WP, plus inefficiencies of conversion.

Many electric pump applications (racing apps) do not use an alternator; but those that do definitely see a measurably reduced drag (seen on the dyno) compared to a mechanically driven unit. It is not a "wash"; it is a net gain...........hence their use on race cars.

2. A smart variable speed pump that measures coolant temp and maximizes heat transfer at all rpms would definitely be useful. A real plus if there is such a thing. I have just never seen one this sophisticated.

You have not for a reason, they currently do not exist. Attempts to do this, even with digital electronics, proved to be overly complicated, not dependable, and added weight. Running the pump at a fixed speed electrically offers simplicity, better cooling, lower weight and free power without all the complications.

3. We already have a belt and pulleys on our cars, no space savings.

Electrically driven pumps are definitely smaller and lighter than their belt driven counterparts.........

4. Works if the belt fails, not if the circuit fails. Seems like a wash.

And if the car gets hit by a meteorite, or is swamped by molten lava, it doesn't work eithereither................

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-05-2009 at 12:18 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote