View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
jmacdona

Any relationship between altitude/elevation and oil leaks?

Does anyone have any experience with the impact of altitude on oil leaks? Here's my situation:

I live in Colorado. I just bought a 2004 Boxster S (sight unseen) from a dealer in Santa Cruz, CA and had it shipped to Longmont, CO. Prior to purchasing the vehicle I had it inspected by a certified porsche mechanic in Santa Cruz and he told me the rear main seal (RMS) had a small "seepage" but was nowhere near dripping on the floor so he suggested I not worry about it. I believed him and took his advice.

The first 10 days in Colorado were issue free - I didn't really drive the car too much. I then took it for a good 100 mile burn up into the mountains - started at 5000ft and climbed to 8000+ ft and then back down. The next morning there was a good sized puddle of oil (approx 3 inches by 3 inches) under the car. Over the following couple days there would be a drip or two every time the car cooled down. I haven't confirmed yet but it looks like the leak is coming from the RMS or IMS area.

So the reason I ask about altitude is because the car appeared to be problem free at sea level but within a week of being at 5000ft it developed a leak. Whats extra strange is that I have a 1999 Audi A6 that I drove problem free in Vancouver BC (sea level) for 3 years, and within a week of being in Colorado it started to drip from the RMS. So two different cars with identical symptoms and the only common thread is being new to the 5000 ft?

I looked at many fourms but have seen no discussions on the relationship between oil leaks and altitude. Would appreciate any feedback.

Also, any recomendations for a good independent mechanic in the Boulder CO area - one that has the correct tool for doing a RMS assessment?

Thanks for any help,
Joel
jmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote