View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
turbo23dog

Here's a few pictures from yesterday's further investigation of the driver's side door. I'm posting this information for the benefit of the archives. There's lots of info about clogged drains, but not much about the kind of water leak I'm dealing with. BTW, the car is an 2000S with 43K miles on the odo.

The first picture shows the area of the door where the carpet is wet. This wetness is dripping into the footwell over the top of the door rocker.

The next picture shows the door with the interior panel removed. In this picture, you can plainly see foam membrane that goes between the door frame and the interior panel, the driver's side air bag at the upper mid part of the door frame, and the door speaker module in lower right of the picture. There's NO WETNESS on the outside of the foam membrane but there is wetness on the backside of it, meaning the side that's facing the inside of the door.

In the next picture, I removed the speaker module and then peeled back the foam membrane from foward part of the door, to reveal the door skin. Here you can see a wire loom that has water dripping on it. The water is hitting this wire loom, and running running down the backside of the foam, inside the door. When the water gets to the bottom of the foam, it seeps out to soak the carpet on the bottom of the door panel. ---JB gets the door prize for guessing above...

So at this point, I shut the door and had a helper spray water on the car and after a few minutes was able to tell that the water is entering the door via the the area of the side mirror. The picture with the side mirror removed shows the rubber gasket to be intact with no obvious areas of kink or weakness. I added siliccone sealant under the gasket just where the gasket goes over the foward most part of the door, but that did nothing. I still have water seeping down the foam and on to the door carpet.

past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 11-23-2009 at 06:19 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote