Thread: Boxster basics
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
gschotland

49k is kind of low mileage for O2 sensors to go, but you never know. They're pricey enough to verify at least one is bad before replacing the set.

Have you considered investing a Durametric? The "enthusiast" version's around $350 and it's good for 3 or 4 cars (the pro version = more $ but gives unlimited use). Software updates are free. If you're committed to P-cars for the long haul, it'll definite pay for itself and it can do and tell you so much more than a plain old code reader. Even if you're not committed or not sure, you can always sell it for at least 50% of what you paid. Got mine used for $175 with two VIN spots left.

Plugs are relatively cheap @ ~$9-$10 apiece (I got OEM Berus from Sunset). If you don't know when they were last changed or it's been a while, change 'em. Some plugs are a little tougher to get at than others, but they're all really pretty easy with the wheels off. And for about $60 more you can change all your plug tubes and the inner and outer seals while you're in there doing the plugs. Mine weren't bad, but they're so inexpensive and easy to do, I figured why wait 'til they bite me. There's a good DIY article on this on Pedro's site.

On the coil packs have you considered swapping #1 with another one to see if #1 still gives you a misfire code?

Last edited by gschotland; 11-20-2009 at 12:34 AM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote