Thread: Boxster basics
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Frodo

Sounds like it's engine (i.e. fuel/combustion) shutter/stutter than mechanical. If mechanical, I'd start by looking at engine mount and asking when clutch was last replaced and/or bled.

No, it doesn’t seem to be ‘mechanical’ in the sense of a shudder or vibration. I’ve read through Pedro’s engine mount DIY, and the symptoms he describes don’t really fit what I’m noticing. It’s just more of a mild hesitation or roughness I hear from the engine itself. At lower RPMs, it seems to have a very subtle power loss. Acceleration at anything approaching WOT and it’s not noticeable at all. I’ve never had the clutch replaced, and I doubt the PO did either---the car had 19k miles when I got it, and it’s got about 49k now. I flushed the brakes and clutch lines a couple months ago.

For engine though, I'll start by asking if you recently replaced or disconnected the battery? If so, could be simply the DME relearning.

Haven’t had to replace the battery yet. I disconnected it last winter when I was doing some alternator work; it ran fine afterwards.

If not, I assume you're not getting a CEL light? If you are, go to local parts store and have them read the code.

Nope, no CEL.

Otherwise, I'd start by cleaning the MAF, throttle body and throttle control valve. Also, check your air fliter. By some chance something big may have gotten sucked in and is restricting the flow.

I took out the air filter a few days ago. There was a little bit of stuff that had been sucked up against the outer, foam portion of the filter, but the inner, pleated paper portion really looked pretty clean. I just used the shop vac on the foam part and popped it back in. Regarding the MAF, I don't really know a whole lot about it, but from what I've read on this forum I was wondering if it might be a MAF issue. Unless anyone’s got any other theories, I guess I’ll pull up Pedro’s DIY page on cleaning up the MAF, etc, and get to work.

Thanks.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote