View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
CJ_Boxster

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalealan2001
1997 does not have side airbags. Significant number of engine failures due to cracked or slipped cylinder liners, but since a minor redesign in 2000 these problems have been resolved.

Not entirely correct, Yes 1997 boxster have no side airbags however, your statement regarding engine failures is false. 986 engine redesigns never completely resolved IMS and liner issues. I think there should be a thread on this forum which a forum member had there engine replaced with the so called "redesigned platform" which still suffered a failure.

The years commonly effected by IMS failures and cracked & slipped cyclindar liners are usually 98, 99 and some 2000 - 2001 but its rare, but in this case I think your warning to the poster is somewhat valid due to the low mileage of the boxster and its age.

Purchasing a boxster with so little miles still leaves the possiblity of IMS and Liner failure to occur. Usually your out of the woods once your boxster exceeds 50k - 60k miles since IMS and liner failures commonly occur anywhere from 15k - 45k mile range.

The best advice anyonce can give the poster is to purchase a 3rd party warranty and have a pre-purchase inspection done on the vehicle at a local porsche dealership. Keep in mind there is no way to inspect and notice if the IMS will certainly fail in the future, its sudden, there will be smoke, your cheeks will get red and you might slap your wife or gf later that nite.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 11-13-2009 at 03:23 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote