View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Brian Porsche Tech

Dispeling M96 engine rumors

I have heard a few people talking about what is being said on this forum, and how it is really freaking many owners out about their cars. I have been a dealer technician for 30 years, the last 20 of which have been with Porsche. I have torn down several M96 engines after failures, and have built several outside of my primary job as a dealer tech. I'd like to offer my input and share what I've seen to the forum, and in the process dispel some of the rumors that seem to be running rampant.

First, the intermediate shaft. This is NOT a hoax. Most of the engines that we have removed from cars have been caused by failure of the IMS bearing. There are several versions of the bearing that have been used across the production run of these engines. The early cars had a dual row bearing, which has proven to be fairly reliable. Then can the smaller single row bearing. This is where we have seen most of the failures. Starting around 2005 the factory started using a much larger single row bearing, and we have yet to see one of these fail. While I have not yet seen one of the aftermarket bearings, I have to assume that this is a pretty good idea as preventative maintenance, especially if you have a car with the smaller single row bearing. The latest, larger single row bearing cannot be removed without splitting the cases of the engine, since the bearing is actually larger than the hole that you would pull it out through. Replacing this bearing is not a complex job, and could be completed by any competent tech, with barely any additional labor while doing a clutch.

Second, clutches. Whoever says that these cars are due for a clutch by 30K is sorely mistaken. It all depends on the type of use the car gets and how its driven. We've seen plenty of client cars make it to 100k on the original clutch, and we've also seen some go bad by 30k. Whenever doing a clutch, you need to replace the flywheel, so the notion of changing the clutch before it damages the flywheel is a moot point, as you're supposed to replace it anyway. If it's not slipping, keep driving it.

Third, oil. While the factory endorses Mobil 1, there are better oils out there. Mobil 1 is not the product that it once was. At my dealership, we still fill with Mobil 1, but I don't run it in my personal cars.

Fourth, lifters. Whoever says that these cars all need lifters replaced by 60K must be smoking something really good! If this were true, any M96 powered car over 60K would be considerably down on power. I have seen several client's cars dyno'd with varying mileage, and some of the highest mileage cars have put down the most power! Also, keep in mind that if a car had failing lifters, it would be throwing codes. We have put lifters in ONE car, and did so after it started experiencing drivability problems and throwing codes at 110K. Also, I'd like to point out that were there any truth to this, all of the "evil dealers" would be pushing this service as it would bring in considerable revenue on the service side.

Fifth, head cracks. Some of these heads do crack. It is mostly limited to 3.2/ 3.4 heads, but we have also seen a few cracked heads on 2.5 and 2.7 engines. While they could probably be fixed, with potentially questionable reliability, by a head shop, at the dealer, we replace them with new.

Sixth, cylinder wall failures. This has largely become a problem of the past. Most experienced on 2.5 and 3.4 engines, we haven't seen a "D Chunk" failure in quite a while.

Overall, the M96 is a pretty good engine, with a few shortcomings. The IMS being probably the biggest. I see that the aftermarket has made upgraded IMS tensioner blades and oil pump drives, and I guess if you're building a motor the couple hundred dollars this adds could be considered peace of mind, though we haven't seen any of those parts fail at our dealership.

In terms of rebuilding these engines, while not as simple as a small block Chevy, they are nothing more complex than any other German car engine. Yes, you need some special tools and the service manual with some added notes, but its a job that any competent engine builder can perform.

Remember, any modern engine will experience very little wear if taken care of properly. Modern metallurgy, production techniques and tolerances, and modern lubricants have gone a long way toward making engines last well beyond 100K. The M96 is no exception. There is no reason why these engines should not last 200K. The highest mileage engine I have torn down had 120K on the clock, and the cylinder bores showed zero wear, main bearings had virtually undetectable wear, with the rod bearings showing mild wear. The largest area of wear in most new car engines are the heads. The 120K heads were in need of new exhaust valves and a valve job.

To everybody, don't sit home and freak out about your cars, go out and enjoy them the way they were designed!
Brian Porsche Tech is offline   Reply With Quote