Thread: Boxster Lug Key
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Just find a tight fitting socket and an impact, spin them off. Replace them with normal lug bolts. No one steals wheels anymore.

Is it really that easy??

I took my car to an indy mechanic to get axle boot replacements done, and he called later that day to say he couldn't work on it because they couldn't find the lock nut lug adapter. (I had been flushing my brake lines---which is when I discovered the torn boots---and stupidly neglected to put all the wheel changing equipment back in the frunk when I was done.)

These guys clearly do a lot of European car work: there were 3 other Pcars (one a 911 of 1980's vintage), a Jag XKE and a MGB there at the time. When he called with the bad news, I asked if there wasn't some jury-rig way he could coax off the lugs, and he said "No". (The place was like 20 miles away, and I really didn't want to have to drive all the way there if it wasn't necessary.) Was he just being lazy?

Though this was the first time I had used this shop, all-in-all I was really impressed with what I saw, and the workmanship on my car seemed good.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote