View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
sd_boxster

Seems like a good price for a low annual mileage Boxster. That said, I'm sure the dealer would prefer not to have a three-year-old non-S Boxster on the lot bringing down the average price of his inventory.

IF you are willing to buy the car today for $29K, tell the dealer you've seen similar cars at other lots for $29K and will buy it for that price. Assuming that car was traded in semi-recently, the dealer has a few grand to work with (high trade-in for that car per KBB is $26.9K).

Throw out your number, let them chew on it for a while, and be prepared to walk. In this economy, the dealership can't afford to let you walk... but you have to be willing to play the game. Be prepared to walk out - leave your phone number and remind them that you are ready to buy that car, today, for that price, but not a dollar more.

Another tool in the bargaining toolbox: How are you planning to pay? If you were planning to pay cash, don't. Put 10 down and finance the balance. The dealer will be more inclined to accept a lower price if you settle for a higher interest rate. If you have the means to pay cash, finance it, take the lower price, and pay the car off when your first statement arrives. Of course, you need to ensure there's no penalty for paying off the loan early, but I have never actually seen a loan agreement with a prepayment penalty.

Good luck! I hope this is the Boxster for you - but remember that there are loads of used Boxsters out there - don't fall in love until AFTER you own it!