View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
mikefocke

I'd bet you have ~$6k worth of damage to the bumpers and their support structures alone. Muffler bent, etc. To repair my rear after a rear-ender (at a stop light, no dispute who was at fault) cost $3k+ and there was no paint to the body or bodywork or electrical, lights etc. If I showed you a picture of the before-repair view, you couldn't even see damage. It was all bumper cover repair and repaint, bumperettes and the bumper support structure which had to be new to be safe for the next possible crash.

The girl that hit me had GEICO and I went to the local Porsche shop, got a quote, went to Geico's drive in claim, they estimated about half the quote. Let them work it out. They made the shop rebuild the bumper cover and repaint instead of replacing it. Also they quarreled over the reuse of rusty screws and bolts where the body shop wanted to use new ones. Not a terribly pleasant experience.

Then if you hit something hard enough to bend a wheel, you may have frame damage, and surely suspension components and steering components damage. So your shop needs to look at this before they begin any work which is why they have to have a frame analysis capability. Now I'm easily up to seriously double digit territory and since the car is only worth $15k (sorry, I have a '01S) and they total the car when the estimate comes to 80-85%......(been there and done that to a Boxster too...I though the repair would be $5k, the body shop stopped estimating at $26k).

You better ask what the best body shop in town with lots of Porsche experience is if you are to try and save a car worth driving in safety. The good news is there are a million replacements out there and they are reasonable.

Glad you are OK...that is the important thing.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote