View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
tnoice

SO what brand and weight of oil do you use instead of mobil 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
We probably average 12-15 oil changes a day, six days a week, and have done so for more years than I’d care to admit. Along the way, we have regularly taken samples of oil for analysis; recording literally hundreds of results for several brands and many grades of oil; both synthetic and “dino”.

What did we learn? Mobil 1 used to be a great oil; but it no longer is. Amongst the poorest performing grades under even minor exposure to heat or shear: 0W-40. Mobil’s 15W-50 continued to be a good performer, but that also changed about 3-4 years back, about the same time it lost all of ACEA ratings it once held. Now it is a shadow of what it once was, particularly in its performance in used oil analysis.

Considering that the degradation of the Mobil 1 line did not happen over night, and has been the “topic of discussion de jour” on multiple web sites, I find it hard to believe that anyone remotely knowledgeable on the subject continues to believe it is a first rate product. Based upon what we have seen, we made a conscious decision to no longer use it in customer’s cars. Based upon our on-going data collection, that has proven to have been a wise choice……………..

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote