View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #31
mikefocke

I agree completely

And I believe I tried to make the same point ... that we had lots of units tested, just not enough cars with enough miles on them to be really really significant in how the fix would hold up over time. And if the failure rate was 1-2% or 10-20% as some have said and occurs most often after 20-40k miles as others have said (and I have no freaking idea what of those stats are true or how accurate they are but they seem reasonable) then lots of miles on even a relatively few cars gets to be important in understanding how the new and improved part stands up to the variety of conditions a car experiences over its life.

Do I think the IMS bearing design from Charles is probably much better than the originals it replaces? Yes but that is based on theory and limited tests so far. This time next year my confidence curve should start accelerating upwards.

(But if I started to have a problem, would I put in a Porsche IMS or an LN IMS bearing? That one is really really easy to answer. Better the still partially unproven than the proven in this case . And if I win the lottery, Jake would get my car for a total upgrade the next week.)
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote