View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
23109VC

window Crack fixed - DIY with silicone!

Not just for boob jobs! Silicone will fix your plastic window too!

I had a small crack - about 1" long, right up next to where the window meets the canvass.

I ended up using some clear silicone sealant I got at Lowes. I partially lowered the top to take all the stress off the plastic, so I was able to get the "cracked" portions to come together...when the top was closed, the crack was separated a good 1mm or more....too wide to really seal up.

once the top was half way down, I was able to get the plastic window in a position so that the "tear" was "closed" and the edges were touching. I put a bead of siline on the outside...let it ooze into the crack, and let it sit. a few hours later I close the top just enough so that the window was flat, but not enough so it was fully closed...the window has "some" tension..but is not closed 100% nor latched.

so far it looks GREAT. you can just barely see the crack. i'll let it cure overnight and latch it shut i teh AM and see if it holds.

if this fixed my windows - wha ta deal. $3 for the silicone instead of $300-500 for a new plastic window! this ought ot last me a while. when my window finally does go..i may opt for glass..or a new plastic window sewn in..i found a reputable shop in San diego that will do it for $300 and will use clear or tinted plastic..my choice.

if your crack/tear is smack dab in the middle of your window, this may not work so hot cosmetically. i bet it would work to seal/fix it, but you'd see it more. the stuff dries clear but you CAN still see that there was someething there that I repaired..it's just that on my car b/c it's sooooooooo close to the edge of the window, you really don't notice it.

besides, 90% of the time I'm out in my car, the top is DOWN!

the stuff i used it sold by loctite. it just clear silicone adhesive.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote