View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
Flavor 987S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
After 35 years or so of turning wrenches on these cars, both in successful racing applications and on the street, not to mention running my own shop; I have learned a more than few things that Porsche’s accountants forgot to, or wouldn’t allow their engineers to do.

Your high regard for what passes for TSB’s is more than just humorous, it is completely misguided; as over the years Porsche has so often reversed themselves, particularly when it comes to oils. Their oil brand of choice is a hollow shell of what it was when Exxon took Mobil over in 1999; which is why anyone with a modicum of knowledge on the subject stopped listening to their recommendations years ago. Add in our data base of literally hundreds of oil analysis collected from our own and customer’s cars and it became obvious that both the “recommended” weights and brand had become total nonsense.

As for “disclosing” to our customers that we use what you describe as “outdated and unapproved oils”; perhaps you would be interested in how many Porsche owners switched to our shop (even driving considerable distances to do so) when they hear that our test results show a better pathway…………… So, as the direct result of miscreant and devious ways, we find ourselves having to turn work away because of the line of cars outside the door………..

Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah.....you did not answer the questions. I would assume the answers are, "no".

With you higher base of knowledge, you owe it to forum members here and your customers that your advice goes against the grain of Porsche, so those less knowledgeable than you can make an informed decision ....to believe a trust mechanic (yes, I am sure you do good work! )...or the folks who built the car and continue testing & improving.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote