View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
eightsandaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
boy isn't there a CAT scan for cars? They need to invent one of those.Too bad your health insurance would charge you the price of the LN Eng. bearing instal.

Already done my man, you need a lead pig, a cesium source, 135 0r 137 and a receptor. Anyhow it's how they X-ray airplane wings for cracks. Radiation source is carried in a lead pig with a long cable, huge sheets of film are placed on the wing, the end of the lead pig line is positioned in such a way that it will pass radiation through the wing to the film receptor. The lead pig has a crank, when you turn it a radioactive pellet comes out of the lead protectant and travels down the cable into position. The wing is now being irradiated, time is dependant on distance and thickness, a tech comes back, and winds the pellet back into the pig, develops the films and viola, there's your image of a metal component. I'm sure today the method may include using no film, replaced with TFT (thin film transistor) DR plates, lead pig I'll bet is the same.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-21-2009 at 10:15 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote