View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
I LOVE the car... I just thought now is the time to move on the 996!
Don't get your hopes up too much if you think the 996 is going to be a big improvement over the Box. You might want to go test drive a couple and see what you really think. You might be disappointed. I like the additional power (320 HP) and awesome Turbo brakes that my C4S has. There's also more "prestige" where I live in owning a 911 - it turns more heads.

However, I am VERY glad that I also still have my Box. It's MUCH better on twisty roads. The AWD C4S is a good 400 lbs heavier and is more of a pig in turns (but that's just compared to the Box, compared to other cars it's amazing). The Box actually seems to have more usable power if you keep it above 4K RPM. When I go autocross again this weekend it will be the Box that I'll be racing, not the C4S.

My point - many people buy a Box with the hope to "step up" to a 911 later. Just consider that the Box in and of itself is an amazing sports car, so this "step up" may only be a prestige thing on the surface and not really that much of a step when it comes to performance.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote