View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
23109VC

car runs better/faster after new water pump and accessory belt???

just picked up my boxster today after having a new water pump installed. the shop also replaced my main belt - which they showed me...it was all cracked and in really bad shape. my water pump looked okay internall, but had sprung a leak where it connects to the belt itself..

on my way home, I had a change to get into the powerband and "enjoy" my car. I swear the car feels slightly faster, and seems to rev more smoothly.

is there some way that due to my water pump being bad or leaky or maybe just really worn, or having a new belt on that the car would run noticeably better? could the pump have been so bad it created too much drag on the car, or the bad belt being cracked/worn/stif that it was creating drag and sucking up power?

i wasn't expecting it to be faster...i assumed i'd get it back and it would drive exactly the same..minus the water leak.. but i have to say I think it runs better. stronger. not a lot...just enough that I can feel it.

maye it's just that I hadn't driven the car in a few weeks...it was out of commision for almost a month before I got it fixed....so it could all be subjective...but I had to wonder if maybe the water pump or belt, or combination, being bad coul have been putting even a small amount of excess drag on teh motor and by replacing them, some small amount of previosly "robbed" horsepower was free'd up and that's what I'm feeling..

or maybe i'm just crazy..

whatever it is, it sure is nice to have my car back. that sound, of the motor wailing in the upper rpms is pure music.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote