View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #37
RandallNeighbour

Edgarflotte: There are a bunch of threads on this forum dealing with your question. I have a factory remanufactured motor in my 97 box. It was replaced at 80k and I now have 108k on it. No problems to date.

But the IMS bearing should be swapped out on both our motors with a newer aftermarket one that's robust and will keep the motor from cratering. The other big motor killer is "D chunks" taken out of the cylinder walls.

The M96 motor is not bulletproof, that's for sure. But don't lie awake at night worrying about it. Just replace the IMS bearing when you have your clutch replaced or your rear main seal replaced due to leaks.

BaileyMC: Carfax is total crap. Doesn't show anything that is not entered in, and my carfax was clean and my motor had blown and was replaced at a dealership!

I called my dealer with my VIN number and I was told that I could only get records from the exact dealers where the car was worked on. They have no nationwide network that they are willing to access for customers anyway.

Meticulous records kept by the PO is what one is looking for when buying a preowned Porsche.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote