View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
RandallNeighbour

Thumbs down Excellence Mag. Review

I received my copy of Excellence Magazine today, and they gave an upbeat, yet dissappointing review of the new Boxster S.

Among many other accolades, they wrote the power and torque was a great improvement over previous year models, the interior was 10x better, didn't like the 19's on the car, preferring the 18's, and something that bothered me greatly:

"Disturbingly, it [the Boxster S with just 5,216 miles on it] also left a pool of oil on the floor of our garage—an ominous sign. A call to PCNA netted clearance to book the car into Sonnen Porsche, our local dealer. There, the technicians put the car on a lift and confirmed our suspicions."

"The oil was coming from a leaking rear main seal, something that's plagued many of the water-cooled sixes in Boxsters and 996's. We were hoping Porsche had eliminated this issue in its new-gen cars; perhaps the failure in this early 987 is a fluke? ..."

Fellow Porsche owners, I am pissed off! I really wanted to buy an '05 987S in a few years as a CPO, thinking that by now Porsche would have fixed this stupid problem in their boxer engines! I think every person on this list should write PCNA and challenge them to fix it for good and admit their faults.

You all have no idea how many nights I lie awake at night and wonder when mine is going to go out ... again!

Until I see something in writing from Porsche that says they acknowledge the problem and have actually corrected it in new engines, I do not think I will be upgrading my Box to a newer one.

I hate to say this, but those of you on this list who have just taken possession of 05's, watch your garage floor very carefully! At the first sign of a drip from your RMS, force the dealer to replace it immediately, warrant it in writing, and register a formal complaint in writing with PCNA and carbon copy the president of Porsche in Germany while you're at it.

Porsche. There is no substitute? I certainly think I can find a very nice subsitute if Porsche doesn't fix this problem for good. They've had 9 years to figure it out and will lose me as a repeat buyer if they don't get their crap together.

Thank you for reading, and I will now put away my soap box since I've now gotten this off my chest.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote