View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
JDanger

Good options for a '05 S?

Hi. I'm new here. I'm considering trading in/selling both my G35 Coupe and Miata for a '05 Boxster S. I recently got to do the Porsche Driving Experience with a 911-owning friend who's other buddy didn't want to go because of bad weather, and of all the cars we drove that weekend I liked the Boxster S the most. A couple of the instructors there even told me they secretly thought the new Boxster S would definitely take the 911 and maybe even match the Carrera S on the track, but I only got to drive it around a short autocross course.

Anyway, I was actually looking to reduce my automobile debt before my Porsche Drooling Experience, so this is a little bit of a reach for me. As such, I'd really want to keep the options down, but I wouldn't want to miss out on anything that really improves the driving experience. The options I'm most interested in are:

Short-throw shifter ($765) - I much prefer my Miata's shifter to that of the 911 I drove for several hours on the track, which had longer, vaguer throws. How much better does this shifter make it? Are there better aftermarket short-throw shifters?

Active Suspension Management ($1990) - I have no idea what this does, but it sounds cool. Doesn't the S already come with a heavily sport-tuned suspension compared to the base Boxster though?

Sport Chrono Package - is it a $1000 stop watch? Does it do anything else that's important?

Sport seats - I love my Infiniti's sport seats but haven't found a Boxster with sport seats to try out. Are they generally preferred by people here? Also, are they lower to the floor? I'm a hair under 6'3", and had to make some modifications to fit in my Miata, but I can get by with the Boxster's standard seats if necessary.

Sport steering wheel - I put a smaller diameter wheel on my Miata and now everything else feels like driving a truck in comparison. I'd definitely get this unless it partially blocks visibility of the gauges or isn't available with stereo controls. Anyone have it?

BOSE stereo - I'm thinking of skipping this and the CD changer option and putting in a MP3 player instead, but I've never gone the aftermarket stereo route before. Is it difficult/expensive to put a stock-looking system in this car? Would I lose a lot of speakers that can't be easily added in the aftermarket if I forego BOSE?

Windstop - effective/needed for this car? I like my Miata's, but wouldn't pay $500 for it.

Hardtop - I probably won't get this regardless, but am wondering if anyone highly recommends it. It looks like a bargain to me in Porsche terms because the Miata's costs the same amount after painting.

I think that's everything. I'm a big fan of Nav systems, but I already have a portable unit that I carry between cars and motorcycle, so I wouldn't get the factory unit. I also prefer the smaller 18" wheels. If I ultimately decide to go with an almost completely stripped S, am I going to have trouble getting a dealer to discount it or even order it at all? I figure I'm already going to be a pain in the ass by trading in 2 cars for 1.

Hope that's not too many questions. I tried a few searches first but was mostly finding statements of ownership rather than reviews. Not that I begrudge you guys your pride of ownership. Any advice on any of the above would be appreciated. Thanks.
JDanger is offline   Reply With Quote