View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #31
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I'd like to add my two bits about the source of the fire based on your report...

My guess is that the oil filler tube was cracked and dripped enough oil on a hot exhaust to ignite it. I had my oil filler tube replaced three years ago just before the tail of the dragon trip, and it's quite noticeable after a oil change if it's cracked because so much oil is being poured into the motor and across the cracked area just inside the motor compartment.

Anyone reading this thread should have this checked out and replaced. It's an overpriced black plastic flex-tube that's about two and a half feet long that goes from the oil filler cap in the trunk to the motor (or oil reservoir, or wherever).
The PPI on my car uncovered this defect. The tech who performed the inspection said it was a common problem caused by rubbing on a hose clamp from another component. The tech who repaired mine said he repositioned the clamp to prevent a recurrence.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote