View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
I have an '01 with 39K on the clock. I've always noted that engaging the clutch in first gear was a rough and embarassing experience until it gets warm, but even then I have to feather it carefully. I thought it was me, but perhaps it's the mount.
I also find that when I shift to 2d at below 4000 rpm I have to give extra care to have it feel right.
I have always gotten the minor vibration going through the 3000 rpm mark when decelerating.
The car had 28K on it when I bought it 2 yrs ago and it felt the same. Never raced.
Do I need a front mount??????????

Bob
People say the symptoms are you hear clunks, and shifting is more difficult, but I really didn't experience those symptoms. Instead, on my 01 Boxster, I noticed that under hard cornering (and in my case, hard right hand sweeping turns under power), I would get a really annoying grinding vibration from my left rear axle. Apparently, the driveline geometry was thrown off due to my worn out motor mount. This was what my motor mount looked like after it was out of the car at 58k miles. As you can see, there were several cracks in the rubber.

After the new updated 987 motor mount was installed, the grinding was gone, but I also noticed the vibration as you decelerate under 3k rpms was gone too. I'm very happy with the new mount, but it's been only 7 months with the new mount on. If it lasts another 58k miles before I need to change it, I can live with that, since I put less than 5K miles on the car per year.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote