View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
mikes_box

i get that sound too when i turn off the car... hear it mostly when i stick the car in the garage and close it... funny when i bought a new car back in the days i even brought it back to the dealers because of hearing that sound after driving it... was told it was the catalytic converters cooling... since then i've gotten use to the sound.. if you have some smoke on start up on every now and then i'd consider doing the aos with about 62k miles i would call it more preventative maintenance than anything else. I use to get a puff of smoke every now and then, i too thought it was from the way the engine is so i never thought about it too much... then one day out of the blue at a stop sign, i get a check engine light.... pull over, turn off the engine and try to restart... smoke everywhere... i knew it was the aos but the tow driver thought for sure i needed a new engine due to a headgasket... since i owned a 97 previously, i knew it was the aos... checked the two codes and it pointed to the aos... next day bought a new one from the dealer for $120... two hours later car ran beautifully, no more check engine light and no more puffs... and my car only has 40k miles on it... so i doing the aos wouldn't be too bad at your milage... don't wait for it to fail cause that thing gives you no true indication it is about to fail....
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote