Thread: Water Pump
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
pk2

JFP_PA,

Glad to entertain. I'm all for running cooler.Indeed, I'm on the verge of h20 injection/intercooling. But as blue_s stated, the reason for allegedly running it hot was to burn off oil (theory?). We have the most stringent emissions standards in the land...might not fly.

But, the point made here several times is you want your coolant cooler so the oil is cooler. Well, they don't seem so directly related. Obviously my oil temps of 188f (assuming good methodology) are lower then the 210 every body is talking about & the oil has it's own cooler (no?). So again, begs the question,Forget the water, How hot should your oil be?

The Digital laser pyrometer can indeed be "entertaining" at frat parties especially, drawing a laser bead on your friends crotches and zapping temp readings...laugh riot. But actually, it's a very accurate scientific instrument. I snagged it straight from the family biz/laboratory's where it's used daily while they accelerate, smash and other wise mess with atoms and ions at thousands of degrees and at the speed of light(not exactly frat. stuff). Also, can't think of a better place to take a read, can you?. (if ya do I'll do it).

Anyway you make some good points. OBCII reading sounds interesting, I'll try it. but you realize your taping into a pretty primitive sort of sensor, electro mechanical, through Porsche's apparently less than honest electrical system.

You'all are probably right, you've made some compelling arguments.... And god knows I can use all the cooling I can get. A blower generates lots of top end heat (I know, have 2 EGT sensors). But, so many people swearing they feel the unsubstantiated but advertised 5-10-15 hp with their new ebay headers, greasy air filters, what ever. Ya gotta be more skeptical the more logic is defied. So when someone here said the thermostat is good for another 5 hp...Ya gotta think "oh god, here we go". But as the science trickles in it seems compelling.

Thanks again, PK

BTW; In my BMW3.0 coup days, we used to just drill holes around the perimeter of the thermostat. They were really accessible so trial an error was easy.

Last edited by pk2; 08-31-2009 at 07:37 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote