Thread: Water Pump
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
pk2

Jimatta, Lil_bastard, blue-Thanks for your interest.

Jimmata, As far as an “ongoing debate” about water temp, I’ll check it out. If there’s anything definitive (Blu_s seem plausible), I’m in. If it’s another XYZ headers vs. stock, K&N vs. stock filter vs. cold induction …bla bla bla…and they all the add hp… I’ll figure it out, not that hard to take an accurate coolant temps.

(Blue_s) Interesting facts. With temps all over the place from heads to block to radiators, could the 180 on the dash just be a calculated average of pertinent areas?

But (lil_bastard), I just cut to the chase and got a read on the oil temp in my car (seems to be the real issue). Unless someone finds fault with my methodology, mine is 188f… under pretty harsh conditions. Don’t know if 188f is good or bad or how closely it’s linked to coolant temp. I’m confident it’s pretty accurate, and from what you’all say, it is the real bottom line.

Anyway, below are picks of my little measurements..
Details of methodology are below pics.

By Kroak

I drove moderately hard about 4 miles with a few final full boost red lines, gauge read 180, ambient temp 97f (if not on fire) and dry, 22% humid, asphalt 157f (proximity to oil sump, might matter). Intake temp 175f (forced induction, Eaton M63)*, internally stock original 2,.5L, 32k, an extra 50-80 hp (depending who you talk to (like these threads)) but, a significant extra load worth mentioning.

To measure the temp I used a laboratory digital laser pyrometer and pointed it at 1“ from around the middle of the bottom of the crankcase. Most all the oil, cooled, or back from circulation should be there after a short rest (3mins.). Plus aluminum is a very good conductor of heat; After 3 mins. Oil inside should be about the same temp as the bottom of the case I figure.

So I don’t know, if my methodology is right, is 188f to hot for the oil under somewhat extreme circumstances, what should it be?

Regards, PK

* I only took 1 reading on the blowers exhaust to intake pipe@175f . Like to take 5 or 6 to verify accuracy & repeatability but, trust me, it’s frigging hot..