Thread: Water Pump
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
... Would also be a good time to swap out your T-stat with a 160 F unit……………….
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always thought tolerances in an engine were optimized to operate best at a specific, predetermined temp. Motors are made of lots of different alloys any metals. They all expand at different rates. In this case, the state of the alloys at 180 degrees is where the engineering is done and optimized.

Just in a piston and rod assembly, you have 5,6...10 (?) different alloys all expanding at different rates and amounts as they heat up. The engineers decided 180 was nice and designed the parts, taking into account they're expansion, to fit best when they are all at 180. At 160, your goung to have different tolerances. Maybe the rings have expanded but the cylinder hasn't caught up, more compression, more hp, what ever. But harder on other stuff that's not fitting right. Of course far to be it from me preaching tips for longevity, I've disregarded all common sense pushing mine towards a D-chunk.

I could be totally wrong, after all you don't really have to warm up a car any more. But, justifying this change because a GT runs at 140 is apples and oranges for the reasons above. The engineers liked 140, for whatever reason, and designed everything to fit best at that temp and the accompanying degree of expansion of the various alloys etc.

Aside from that, the GT and Turbos are entirely different engines. Water cooled flat sixes yes, but I believe they were derived from the 959 which was based loosely on the old bullet-proof, air cooled 963(?).

I'm not saying don't do it, with a good explanation, I might even do it myself when the time comes. I'm only saying I doubt that the 180# was an arbitrary # for this motor. Probably very minuscule, but I don't think you do it without some long term consequences.

Coffee's gone, Saturday sermons over.

Regards, PK