View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
bigborian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
before buying my used base 2000 boxster - I test drove a brand new EVO X.

I was thoroughly UN-impressed. It was "sort of" fast, but felt cheap, and it wasn't all that fun to drive.

FUN and FAST are not always found in the same package. I have driven some cars that were not that fast, but were piles of fun and vice versa.

Boxsters are not the fastest cars on the road, my 2.7 for SURE is not *that* fast, but I'd be hard pressed to find many cars that can provide the FUN factor of my Boxster for even 2-3X the money I spent. Period.

In some ways, it's not really fair to compare a two seat mid engined roadster to a four door subcompact "rice rocket" car.... no matter what AWD system and big turbo systems you put on the EVO and STi, they are still subcompact econoboxes.

how's it go, you can put lipstick on a pig....

now if I was 21, wore a baseball cap backwards, had a piercing in my face, and used words like "bro" "dawg" in most of my sentences - then I would probably think the STi and EVO were "********************en" and that the Boxster was "too slow".... eventually those morons grow up and realize the error of their ways...

Just cause people drive cars made in Japan doesn't mean they have to wear backwards caps and say "bro" and "dawg" in every sentence. I drive a 2007 Honda civic Si, it makes for a great daily driver and fast enough at the drag strip to smoke quite a few cars with all the things i've done to it.

I bought my wife a 1999 Boxster and i do all the work on it because it was her dream car so i thought i'd make her dream come true. Yea sure it's much more fun to drive however there are downsides to any car that anyone can find. For instance we can't take more than just us 2 in the car. If i have to take my guitar anywhere it's not going to fit in the Porsche Boxster. If i need to go to Costco to do some bulk grocery shopping i'm not going to be able to put all that in the boxster either. It's just what you want out of the car, personal preference. If you want a luxurious comfortable ride you could go with a benz, bmw, or lexus. If you want a sport roadster that handles like it's on rails porsche boxster or something of that sort might fit your needs best. If you're like me and you want a car that you can drive daily and not have to worry about too much AND be able to go fast and race at the dragstrip or auto x track once in a while, a 4cyl turbo car might be right up your alley. Like i said it's all in what your preferences are.

For some people FUN is FAST, for some it might not be. I really think my car is fun to drive not because it's the best handling car or is the most luxurious comfortable ride. I like it because I have fun driving it at the drag strip and it's just a nice little car to drive around. I think it's fun, to me personally you might not think so but that's alright too to each their own. Don't get me wrong the porsche is great if we went out for a night on the town I would be taking the porsche and not the honda. If i was going to vegas to cruise the strip i would take the porsche. If i wanted to impress people and get a lot of looks the porsche for sure. Personal preference :-p

bigborian is offline   Reply With Quote