View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Bladecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippuppy
Now to my problem - it doesn't have any get up and go. It idles nicely - no dead or flat spots - no warning lights for fault codes. On the road it will rev out smoothly to 5000 to 6000 with no miss or roughness.
If i plant my foot to the floor in either 3rd 4th or5th gear it just takes off like a small 2litre car. On hill that the z3 ran over easily I have to change back put my foot down - but nothing happens.
Here's what I would do:

Air Filter - if its clogged, it might be the cause
Fuel Filter - if its clogged, it might be the cause

If you have the radio code, just pull the battery from the car for about 30 minutes, which will clean out the ECU's short and long term fueling information.

Put the battery back in, and drive it around city driving so that it relearns everything to your typical driving style.

Then, after you have about 100 miles on it, and several shut down and restart periods, it should be better.

Then, you can go about checking the typical items that need to be changed after you buy a used car:

Spark Plugs
Oil and Oil Filter change
Transmission fluid change
Check the engine mount's condition by driving the car with the panel behind the seats off for a couple blocks.
Check the condition of the struts and other steering components.
Alignment.
Inspect the brake pads and rotors.

That's where I would start.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote