View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Actually, it is for noise abatement, and different OEM’s handle the issue in various ways. We currently have a Nissan product in the shop that has two factory options: A really slick cold air system and a large diameter, low restriction stainless steel exhausts system. Because the car came from the factory with these, there are two small decals on the radiator support noting that “the car is not legal for export to certain European countries”, because both the intake and exhaust fail to meet “TUV noise standards”. The non option version of the same car has a plastic box in the intake system with a similar baffle to the one on the Boxster inside of it, if you disconnect the box; you get a pronounced intake “roar”, much like the cold air system has. Interestingly, the optional cold air system, which while simple, is beautifully designed, adds 8-10 HP at the wheels, and the exhaust another 10-12 over the standard stuff, so the addition of these does make a significant difference.

The Swiss must drive the OEM’s nuts with this stuff………..
Cool, then all I have to figure out is a way to block out the waffle voids in my intake area, design a bigger curved scoop, and I'll have put that 2hp back into my car!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote