View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
The baffle’s function is misunderstood; it is there so that the car meets the ridiculously stringent Swiss noise laws, the same reason for the overly complex Sports Exhausts design, with its valves and speed controls as a factory installation. The Swiss have very tight requirements on how much noise a car can make and certain speeds and under certain conditions; the so-called “snorkel” is there to comply with that requirement. It’s rather peculiar design speaks to meeting the sound level without disturbing the flow of the rest of the intake system, which obviously works. When it is removed, the sound level rises, but the intake system is no longer “optimized”, so performance suffers slightly.

It would be interesting to see if gains could be made by totally redesigning the runner system to operate without the baffle, but that would require a lot of flow bench time at a minimum……………..
I've heard that theory about the snork being placed there to meet the stringent sound limitations in certain countries, but I then wonder why that type of snork tube is inserted in many different types of cars, even domestic ones.... you find them in the older air cooled 911s, in Mazda pickups, all sorts of cars....they all have snorks leading to their intakes. Therefore, I would think that there was a reason for them being there (maybe one function is to further quell sound), but there has to be another benefit to them, no? In fact, I would bet that you could get the Boxster up to higher speeds without even realizing the louder noise of the desnork because the extra growl from the desnork doesn't even come on until after 4k+ rpms really. This is why I don't think the snork is there solely for the purpose of noise abatement.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 08-17-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote