View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I agree with JFP, in that I think desnorking does make you lose a little power. I was desnorked for a year, and always noticed that at highway speeds over 60+mph, it always felt like I had less power with the snork out. My personal layman's theory is that the snork was designed with the curved, trumpeted opening (which sits closer to the grille opening) to better facilitate airflow into the airbox, giving it a smoother and less turbulent flow into the airbox. With the snork out, there is a void in that area that includes all these waffled edges at the rear section which cannot help airflow into the airbox. Couple that with the fact that the remaining opening after pulling out the snork leaves a straight edge whereas the snork used to have a curved opening, and the flow must be worse than before, IMO.

That being said, ultimately, after putting the snork back in, and feeling like the power had come back at speed, I still really disliked having the snork back in place because there is a remarkable difference in the way the car sounds with the snork back in.... it was just too quiet for my liking, and I soon was back at pulling that snork out. This time, however, after pulling out the snork, I took a dremel to the remaining straight edged opening at the rear section, and sanded it into a curved opening to simulate the curved opening of the snork (and then vacumed out the sanded out bits prior to putting it back together). You can't see it too well in the crappy picture I took at the time, but I now have a curved opening into the airbox. Not sure if it helps or not, but I do love the sound of the car desnorked, and if it means a 2hp loss as JFP shows, so be it...at least I can hear the sweet growl of the intake while I'm going slower, and getting less mileage.

Desnorked and dremeled remaining opening:

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 08-17-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote