Thread: Remove oil pan
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
Lil Bastard, are you saying there is only a silicone seal and no gasket for the pan or baffles? By baffles im guessing you mean the black piece in the picture from the link provided. Thats why im confused since the kit from said link shows two gaskets. What silicone product do you recommend or should I just go with porsche part number provided from the link.

The link you're looking at is for a deep sump kit, and apparently comes with a gasket for the spacer.

OEM there is no gasket. Hi-temp Silicone will work, but the locktite 518 is probably a better solution because of what Jake said about spreading.

It's not likely that you'll find the end piece of the dipstick in the oil pan, it's more likely that you'll have to push it through. You want to be careful with that because you could pierce the oil tube if using a wire or such. Ideally, a piece of fibreglass like the innards of a power antenna would be the thing to use. You could also buy the new dipstick and use that.

By baffles I mean there are two rubber flaps attached to the inside of the sump pan. They close under pressure to keep all the oil from moving to just one side of the engine under lateral 'g's.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote