Thread: Hot day...100+
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
SubVet

Coolant Leak

Granitehead,

I bought a 2002 base model with 34K miles just last May. A few weeks later while driving down the freeway on a very hot Texas day, I had an engine light come on. I didn't hear anything unusual and did not see a change in the engine temp, but got off the freeway at the next exit. I shut off the engine at the stop light and restarted it after about a minute. The engine light went out and stayed out for about half a mile, then came on again and the temp started to rise slightly. I pulled over immediately and shut it down. Thirty seconds later, about half a gallon of coolant spilled out on the ground, near my right rear wheel.

I had the car towed to a Porsche dealership. After a complete diagnostic checkup, they said everything was normal, no leaks, and good coolant pressure. They thought that the non-Porsche dealer that serviced the car before I bought it had allowed air into the coolant system and that it may have caused it to boil over and dump out the overflow. This is my first Porsche and I don't know enough to say for sure that it could cause an overflow. I have never had another incident even though it has been very hot here in Houston. The total cost at the Porsche dealership was only $179. So maybe something similar happened to you. Good luck!
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote