View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
wanna986

205-255 not in stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I upgraded to the ROW M030 suspension (shocks, springs, and sways) a few months ago and was not completely happy with the ride/handling. Ride was choppy and turn in and weight transfer wasn't as crisp as I expected. I've figured out why, now: stock drop links on Boxsters and 996s are pieces of crap. They are flimsy and the plastic and rubber parts in them wear quickly leading to much more free play than desired.

In the US about the only adjustable drop links available are overpriced (but very good) items from Tarrett Engineering. I didn't want to drop $500+ for a set for my car, so I searched the Interwebz for a reasonably priced alternative. I found that Design911 in the UK had what looks to be good alternative at a very attractive price -- $62 for the front pair and $81 for the rear plus about $30 in shipping for a total of $173.

Below is a picture which clearly shows the difference between stock and aftermarket drop links. The Design911 links are very strong and fully adjustable.

And here is what they look like installed on the back of a 986S.

I've put about 300 miles on the car with the upgraded drop links and have found an incredible change in feel with perfectly flat cornering as weight instantly transfers to the outside tires. There is no play at all in the new links and more importantly I was able to remove pre-load from the sway bars. My RoW M030 rear bar is rather twisted and I had to set the left side drop link about 1/4" shorter than the right to remove pre-load.

Surprising the ride is vastly improved. The car is much better planted to the road and has far less side-to-side wobble over bumps -- the side-to-side motion was what bothered me about the ride before this upgrade. I'm very surprised that better drop links made such a huge difference.

Design911 sells the drop links by length (in mm), so you need to measure before you order. For a 986 / 986 S the proper ones to order are the two shortest models available -- Front uses the 155 - 205mm size (set to about 195mm; Rear uses the 205 - 255mm units (set to about 210mm).

Hopefully these will prove to be durable and trouble-free as the miles go up, but so far, so good. Well worth a try if you are looking for good quality drop links at a bargain price.
Lucky,
I just confirmed with the company they don't have the 205-255.
Could you confirm that's the size you used for the rears?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote