View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
mptoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdacat
Not another oil thread AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Yes indeed, why is that a problem? actually i was asking about filters also.

There has been a lot of people going away from mobile 1 see below. Since I am about to change my oil, I was trying to get some proffesional opinions on the subject. The main problem seems to be anything lower than xxW40.

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11064&highlight=mobile

Guys,

If you really read those threads that Jake Raby has some input on, the suggestion is not only to reduce the change interval, but to move away from Mobil 1 as well. What no one is saying is: move to what ? Raby can't be more prescriptive on that for legal reasons at the present time, but he will tell you that he does not use M1 in his engines. If you have a Raby motor put in your car, it will not come back to you with M1 in the crankcase.

You have to decide for yourself if you want to do this, and to what oil, but I can tell you that I dug DEEP into this topic and after a LOT of reading came to the conclusion that the M1 had to go. I saw and read enough to make me a believer that the M1 may be a main player in the IMS failures. This is just my personal opinion, but you can dig and read on the subject as well and draw your own conclusions. I can say though, that my opinion is based on a lot of research and reading on the subject, and on 30 years of turning wrenches on my own street cars, and drag racing motors.

I made the switch to Castrol Syntec 5w-40, which is still on Porsche's approved oil list as are many other commonly available 5w-40 fully synthetic oils. I have used Castrol lubricants for years, in both street and racing motors, and never once had a problem. However Quaker State, Penzoil, Valvoline, Motul, Exon, and Havoline 5w-40 synthetics are all on the approved list along with many others. I would personally not hesitate to use Royal Purple 5w-40 either, although it is not on Porsche's approved list. I have had very good experiences with it in the past.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth, but you can dig and read as well as I can I'm sure. If you dig enough, and in the right places, my bet is you will come to a similar conclusion. Besides....it is ZERO risk to change oil, since so many other oils are on the approved list and cost pretty much the same as M1.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-25-2009 at 10:46 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote