Thread: Dex Cool Issues
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
One thing I'd like to see coming from Flat 6, LN Eng. or Pedro would be an in-line sleeve with a petcock that could be spliced into the lower radiator hose to make fluid changes easier for DIYers. It could be produced and sold cheaply and I suspect there's a market for it, maybe even rivalling oil filter adapters and mag plugs.
Perhaps it is because we change out coolant on a fair number of cars, but I really do not see the OEM prescribed drain method as all that difficult. Once you have the belly pan section off (about 2-3 min.), everything is out in the open; the engine drain plug, the hoses to the radiators, the thermostat housing, and heater hoses. As for flushing the system, we fabricated some bits from hardware store sourced plastic fittings that allow us to attach a garden hose to either the engine or radiators and back flush the entire system with hot (135F) water. Typically, however, unless the system shows signs of problems, we usually do not flush the system, preferring to thoroughly drain it and then refill under vacuum with a 50/50 premixed OEM coolant and distilled water. Been doing it this way for a lot of years and to date have not had one come back with problems……
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote