View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #12
CenterIsl

I had this same K40 on a previous car (an SC430) which I purchased in SF and drove straight through the night home to Seattle. It was my first detector, and it alerted me 3 time on the trip. I average more than 75 mph for the entire trip - including fuel and pit stops - and was typically going 80 to 90 on those long stretches with very little traffic. It definitely saved me a couple of tickets. Great to have something built-in, but I left it off unless doing a significant highway drive. FWIW, the other knob is for City / Highway modes.

My new experience is with a Passport 9500ix, which I got for a great price via a group buy on PlanetPorsche. I've only had it a week, and haven't taken any highspeed highway trips - just driving around town in my GX (secure when locked, and the lighter plug powers off unlike the Boxster) getting used to the signals. Damn, the thing is chatty. The GPS feature is driving me bat**************** - Seattle has quite a few tunnels and stacked roadway situations, and the damn thins is always saying "GPS signal lost" and then "GPS signal acquired". I can't turn that off without turning off all the other voice alerts like "Red Light camera in 500 feet". Or turning of the GPS feature itself, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying the high end model.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote