View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
greesedc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
0w-40 M1 is fine for our cars. M1 has put different additives in the oil to replace the ZDDP. (from a tech session at the Porsche Parade in Keystone last week.)

Please look at your warranty book and show me where it requires us to change the oil to maintain the factory warranty.
I missed that tech session because I was working elsewhere, but I did put the same question to the guy manning the Mobil 1 trailer, and he said that the M1 that we use will not break down between 15K intervals. I was concerned about annual oil changes with low annual miles, and he said that as long as our cars were fuel injected, M1 sitting for long periods of no use is no problemo.
It is the carburated cars that sit around, bounce around on trailers, etc, that causes the carb floats to stick or bypass, thereby dumping gas into the oil and contaminating it. But for us late model Porsche folks, especially Boxsters and later 911's it is the 40W (weight and viscosity) that is important in the M1 "european formula" (Porsches, Mercedes and BMW). The guy was a storehouse of knowledge about Mobil1 products for all cars and all the way up to his own Diesel tractor/trailer.
I can't tell for sure, but are these the same mugs used at the Beerfest?

Last edited by greesedc; 07-11-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: sp
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote