View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
mikefocke

The most important thing

is to make sure the suspension is in perfect shape...your life depends on it. And of course the suspension must be attached to a frame that is straight or you'll never get things aligned correctly.

So the first thing I'd ask of a body shop is...I wouldn't ask but I'd go look and see how many Porsches and in what condition they have in their parking lot waiting for repair. Then I'd ask them what they use for frame measurement..IIRC there are jigs that Porsche sells and also laser measurement tools and either can be used. You want to make sure that the frame and all the attachment points for the suspension are true first off. And that should be done before they give you the quote as it will affect things immensely.

There is a high probability that if you hit the curb hard enough to bend a wheel that suspension pieces or even the steering got bent too. You want to make sure the shop is qualified to determine what is bad and that they will replace it with new parts...you don't want to risk your life running on "maybe this repair will last" parts.

The wheel is the least of your worries...and the least expensive.

IMHO, YMMV
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote