View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
tonycarreon

how much does an engine cost?

no i'm not asking. but i figured someone else would and eventually post the question, so maybe if they use search, they'll find this post.

so anyway, i had a warranty co. contact me saying they had great prices, great coverage, etc...

well the only thing i would want a warranty for would be an IMS failure, which as we all know pretty much means "call raby, or get another boxster." i asked if they covered an IMS failure and he said if it's internally lubricated it's covered. so i said "well you know an IMS failure means engine replacement. it's not fixable." so he said he needed a part number to be sure it was covered.

just contacted a local dealer to get the part number and he gave me the price...

$12,284.57, not including "other" parts, labor, fluids, etc. and of course this is for a rebuilt, not a "brand new" engine.

i can't wait to see what the warranty guy says for that.

meant to add this is specific to my car - 01 base + tip. @ Maryland stealership. so you might find a higher or lower price, depending on whom you contact. and i don't mean to open the whole warranty vs. slush fund debate. i don't look very highly on warranty companies. at least you know the can buried in your backyard isn't go to go out of business tomorrow.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 07-01-2009 at 02:09 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote