View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Frodo

We used to get rain like that from time to time when I lived in Kansas. I used to commute on weekends between Manhattan (where Kansas State University is) and Kansas City (where I worked weekdays), taking I-70, and I got nailed by storms like that a few times.

Generally every one had the sense to keep moving at a safe rate of speed (maybe 30 MPH). One time, though, some morons decided to stop under an overpass, side by side, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSTATE. It's a miracle we didn't have a massive pile-up, but somehow it never happened. (They started moving before long---one of the first vehicles that had to stop for them was this trucker who was really PO'd, and started laying on his airhorn. They got the message.)

One time that was even scarier, though it only lasted maybe 10 seconds, was when I passed a semi, with trailer, right after we had a tremendous downpour. There was a lot of water still on the road, here and there. I got part way through passing this trucker when he hit a huge amount of standing water, sending this tidal wave across my windshield. Visibility could not have been worse if someone had painted my windshield black. I gritted my teeth and completed the pass, totally blind. Not a real fun experience.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote