View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
yimmy149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I've had mild back pain on and off for years. It's never been a big deal, though painful. Usually, I'd strain my back or wake up sore. It would be sore for a few days, then go away. If I did back strengthening exercises, it would never bother me.

Then I bought my Boxster. During test drives it seemed perfectly comfortable. However, once I brought it home and started driving it more I've noticed that if I drive it more than about 15 minutes, I get pain in my lower back on the left side. I thought it was because I was slouching so I'd fit better (I'm 6'4"). So I put in a Recaro SPG XL seat. Now I can sit as straight up as I possibly can and still have a bit of room. The Recaro seat is much better than the stock seat. I can find positions that do not cause pain, but not always. I just had about a month off from work during which I never drove the Boxster more than 5 minutes at a time. It was great. My back didn't bother me the entire time. The last two weeks I've been working. That first day back I drove to work (30 minutes) and was sore for the rest of the day. Being a pilot, I sit all day at work and those seats don't bother me at all.

I can't figure out what causes it. I have noticed that the pedals in the Boxster are very far over to the right. It feels odd to me. It's like I have to bend my knees to the right from their natural position. I'm thinking that perhaps that makes me sit twisted slightly in the seat. I also thought that perhaps it was because the seat is so close to the floor that my legs are almost parallel to the floor. This makes the angle between my upper-legs and torso more accute than say in an airplane or my wife's truck. However, last week I sat in my Pontiac Firehawk which has almost the exact same seating position and it was very comfortable even after 20 minutes.

I'm wondering if anybody else have found that their Boxster causes back pain. If so, have you found a solution? Yesterday I finally told my wife that I think I might have to sell the car if I cannot find a solution.
I've done a couple multi-hour drives in mine, most of the pain I experience is due to lack of lumbar support. Then again, I like the acute angle/bucket seat type thing, and have my Mazda adjusted the same way. I notice most people that drive my Mazda immediately lower the front of the seat.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote