Thread: Carbon parts?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
Kirk

One note on the OEM CF pieces - I do believe it's UV that destroys them. I've seen several instances where the OEM CF steering wheels crack like crazy because of this. I think it depends a lot on where you live, how harsh/intense the sun is, and where you park your car. I live in NorCal where it's supposed to get up to 107/108 this weekend. When it gets hot like that I can tell you the sun is really intense. In the three years I've lived here it's totally trashed the paint on my Honduh daily driver. I drive my Box more to work now, but not when the heat rises, then I drive the ol' Honduh and just let the damn thing bake. With my 996 I have a CF steering wheel and I ALWAYS put a sunshade in the front window no matter where I go. Loren (who runs Renntech) told me this is a must if I want to keep my steering wheel in one piece. I just thought I'd throw that out while we're discussing CF pieces - I would consider a sunshade for those bright sunny days just to be safe, regardless of where you get the parts from. I've seen people around here with CF hoods that have gotten trashed in no time from the intense sun. I've got a CF hood, mirrors, and intake scoops. Mine look perfect though as I garage my car and don't park it outside on those days when the temp is up over 100 (it gets up to 114 here)....

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote