View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #59
Porscheburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wconley
The rear view mirror is the easy one to set up and I'll presume I don't have to say anything hear other than to center it for the lane behind you in your normal driving position. Look at the rear view mirror and take note of the last thing you can see at the very left and right sides.
I would add that the setup for the RVM should be done with your head at the angle (or no angle if you choose to move your eyes only) that you will be positioned when using the RVM. The same would be true for the pax and driver's side mirrors.

If you wear sunglasses, pick one set and make your adjustments with your choice of sunglasses properly seated on your head. Same with vision-adjusting glasses.

Since most people wear sunglasses (or should), picking the right pair for driving should be the first consideration. Not boating or aviation, a second set for these specific activities (different colors, reading adjustment glasses, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wconley
Where it really shows it's value is in an emergency situation when you can quickly scan your mirrors for a way around an accident while keeping your head and eyes pointed forward. You can scan with your eyes much quicker than you can ever turn your head.
Not only more quickly, but with practice, more accurately. Like an outfielder chasing down a fly ball, head still = locked in vision. Head movement disrupts the eye causing the inevitable momentary blurring. The momentum of the head forces the eye to move even ever so slightly in the socket.

Last edited by Porscheburn; 06-25-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Porscheburn is offline   Reply With Quote