Thread: 335i vs 986
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
23109VC

335i vs 986

No - this is not a drag race story, or a tale of how I spanked the BMW around some twisty backroads... although I know I could do it!!

No, my DD is aging, and I'm in the market for some kind of a new 4 door sedan. I have looked at a lot of cars - from the Pontiac G8, the new TSX, new TL, used 3G TL, used RL, (I like Acura..I have an 07 MDX for m y wife that I love), IS350, used 3 series, etc etc. I don't know what I want really. part of me wants to get a cheap little TSX and get good gas mileage and just go "cheap"...then sometimes I want something fast and sporty like a 335i, then sometimes I think I want to have a low mileage used RL and cruise in style..quiet, soft, luxurious....

anyway... I went to the BMW dealer and the salesguy was obviously trying to push me into a lease on a new 335i. He offered a test drive so what hte heck...

I was able to try it out on some good turns, as well as open it up on the freeway. The saleguy says "okay you'r going 95...need to be aware of speed"... i swear I thought I was only going 70....

anyway.... if you haven't driven one - it's a neat car. compared to a boxster, it does not have the absolute tossable feel that our cars have - but I guess you can't expect it to, given the physical differences. Midengined 2800lb car vs a 3500lbs sedan with the motor ove the front axle....

although I have to give the BMW credit - it did handle REALLy well, well enough that I would sayh that it is on par with probablyh some sports cars. for a daily driver, this would be a really fun car.

in terms of pure fun - it's not nearly as fun as a boxster. It was nice to know that my little boxster - all 217hp of it - is a more fun car than the $50k+ 335i.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote